🎓 The Course
This qualification in Mathematics will provide evidence of students’ achievements against demanding and fulfilling content. It will give students the confidence that the mathematical skills, knowledge and understanding that they acquire during the course of their study will provide a strong foundation for further academic and vocational study, and for employment.
This qualification in Mathematics enables students to:
- Develop fluent knowledge, skills, and understanding of mathematical methods and concepts;
- Acquire, select and apply techniques to solve problems;
- Reason mathematically, make deductions and inferences, and draw conclusions;
- Comprehend, interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of forms appropriate to the information and context.
The assessments will cover the following:
- Ratio, proportion and rates of change
- Geometry and measure
Pupils will be entered for the Foundation tier (grades 1 to 5) or the Higher tier (grades 4 to 9 - grade 3 allowed).
- The qualification consists of three written papers at the end of the course, each 1 hour 30 minutes long.
- Paper 1 is a non-calculator assessment, and a calculator is allowed for Paper 2 and Paper 3.
- The volume of subject content has increased compared to the previous specification.
- In the assessments there’s a greater emphasis on problem solving and mathematical reasoning.
- Students will be required to memorise formulae.